A fire service has issued a severe warning about charging mobile phones in bed or under pillows, posting shocking pictures of the damage they can cause.
The Newton Fire Department in New Hampshire, USA, took to their Facebook page to share worrying statistics about the number of young people keeping their phones under their pillows whilst they charged.
‘Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow,’ they said in the Facebook statement. ‘This is can be extremely dangerous.’
‘The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter. The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger. Please check where you & your family charge your mobile devices.’
Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow….
The post has been shared over 20,000 times and hundreds have expressed their concern, tagging children and other family members to warn them of the risk.
One mum commented, ‘[daughter] I found your charger like this this morning. Please stop running your charger under your pillow and across your bed.’
Another said, ‘Guilty…changing my charging.’
The warning comes just days before the Dublin Fire Brigade issued a similar warning about electrical charging, after two units from Phibsboro were called to attend a blaze caused by the same thing.
On their Twitter account, they said, ‘Yesterday evening, two units from Phibsboro were called to the scene of a blaze which started after a mattress caught fire after coming into contact with an electric cable.’
Nobody was hurt, they added, but two pictures of the burned mattress and melted cable have shocked Twitter users.
In a previous statement given to the Dublin Live newspaper, a spokeswoman said that ‘members of the public should ensure a number of measures are in place in order to avoid electric fires in their homes.’
‘They include buying genuine charging cables, or cables that are certified by the manufacturer, ensuring that charging cables have the European CE mark, avoiding over-charging phone or charging over night, and replacing any damaged cables immediately’
‘Never place a charging phone or device on a bed or under a pillow. The heat generated needs to dissipate. Place the phone or device on a solid surface, like a worktop or bedside locker.’